Would you like to know what the future holds for you? for your family? Have you known Christians who consult with psychics or fortune tellers? I have. I don't understand that really, but thought of some reasons why people would try to get a glimpse into the future. See if you can think of others...
- we want to be in control
- we lack trust in God to direct our lives
- we think if we know what's coming we can be prepared
- we think we can change something we don't like if we see it coming
You may add your own reasons here as well.
I think there are a few reasons why God does not allow us to see the future:
- if there are bad/hard things ahead we would spend energy and focus worrying about and dreading what was coming, and miss the joy of today
- if there are good things ahead we could look forward to those things so much that we miss what God has for us today, including those things that would lead to better things in the future
- we could begin to think we didn't need God - think about Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden
- we are incapable of seeing and understanding the big picture. We can't do that on a day to day basis. What makes us think that we could handle the whole future?
- knowing the future would give us a false sense of security
- God wants us to trust Him.
That's the bottom line, isn't it? Trust. Do we trust in the God who holds the future in his hands, or do we trust in our own knowledge? Do we boast in our own ability to control our destiny or do we, as Paul advises, boast only in the Lord?
Consider this: if we cannot live in each day that God gives us because we are anxious about the future and in a hurry to get there, what makes us think that we will not continue to do that tomorrow instead of enjoying the things we dream of today?
Life happens - good and bad - to all of us. Whatever the future holds, know that God has already been there, conquered it, and won victory over it.
The best way to be prepared for the future is to know the One who holds it. We do not know what a day may bring, but He does. We all have things that weigh heavily on us - concerns and worries for the future. What are those things for you? Have you spent so much time anticipating the future that you are missing what God has for you today? If so, make a change right now. Take that concern to him in prayer along with your anxiety and fear of the unknown. He understands and he loves you and promises a peace beyond understanding.
Share your thoughts: How do you handle anxiety about the future? Do you have a special verse that brings you peace and comfort?
I'm praying for you today.