It's so hard when the celebration so relentlessly in your face causes pain so sharp it takes your breath away. What is it for you this year?
- your mother is sick and this will probably be your last year with her
- your mother is gone and the hole she left in your heart and your life is still empty and raw
- instead of cuddling a little one you wrestle with the agony of infertility
- in a perversion of the natural order of things you have lost and buried a child
- it is not death that separates you from your child but anger, bitterness and unforgiveness
- you are alone with small children who cannot pamper you and celebrate with you - they only demand that you be Mom
- you live with your children in a shelter, or on the street, or wherever you find a place because it's the only way to keep them safe
- your child is missing and you have no idea if she is safe or alive
- your child is rebellious and makes you question your fitness for motherhood
For you, Mother's Day is not a day of celebration but one of pain and grief.
You're allowed, without apology or explanation, to do what you need to do to take care of yourself today.
God does not always take away the pain, but he always, ALWAYS holds on to you through the storm. He knows your heart. He catches every tear that falls. He has forgiven you EVERYTHING - he died for that - so you can be gentle with yourself and forgive yourself when you're not perfect.
A mother's pain is a precious thing. It is carried for a lifetime. What amazing strength you have!
Whatever your circumstances are, know you have been prayed for - taken by the hand and lifted straight to the throne of God. There you can find peace in your storm, comfort for your pain, and strength to carry your burden a little bit longer.
"When the storm has swept by,
the wicked are gone,
but the righteous stand firm forever."
Proverbs 10:25 (NIV)
Praying for you today,
Post a Comment